Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let your guards down

How much strength do you have?

You can measure it in watts, velocity, reps, and race results, but really...

How much inner strength do you have?

Do you have the guts to let your guards down and to be vulnerable? Do you have the strength to be weak and to place your trust in somebody or something else???

Recovering from injury: it's a tough road, but I"m on it. I"m not afraid to be slow, temporarily, because I will rebuild stronger. I'm 38 years young and wiser for it. I know my limits but I'm not afraid to test them. Or at least I have to believe so. What gives me more faith are my athletes and their breakthroughs, and one in particular is on my mind.

Today I found myself BEYOND inspired by one of my adult swim clients who is simply, utterly determined to learn how to swim. He is indeed, afraid of the water. Each week, he shows up, ex- collegiate football player with impressive muscle mass and strength. And each week he learns that none of it translates into comfort or skill in the water. He often surfaces panicky and startled, awkward in the water as he tries to changes positions or submerge. But he is on a mission to swim. And it's amazing!!

Adam puts himself on the line, holding my hands as he glides, even, and we're just barely past blowing bubbles. Little kids swirl and swim around him, gliding effortlessly as they stroke, float, and play. Meanwhile, it takes him five attempts to do a surface dive for an object on the bottom.

Yet the look on his face when he manages the smallest things gives me more inspiration than the entire rest of my training week. His small victories, like gliding and retrieving objects after many attempts are unbelievable statements of determination and faith. In fact, they are gigantic victories over his fears and limitations. He simply won't give up and that's all there is to it. Wow. Couldn't we all do with a dose of that faith and strength?

When was the last time you dared to be less than perfect? When was the last time you did something without any fear of looking foolish or out of place? How do you get there from here?

Try. I dare you to let your guards down and try. : )

2010 pro season, first stop White Lake Half IM and then on to 70.3 Buffalo Springs. Not afraid to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment